Take a seat, close your eyes. Listen to the sound of the waves, the cries of the gulls, the whistling of the wind...no, you’re not on the Baltic Coast! You’re at home in your garden in your gorgeous beach chair. This special piece of furniture is made up of a wicker wooden frame, a sunshade and pull-out footrest, and symbolises the atmosphere of the coast.
The beach chair as we know it today was invented in 1882 by Rostock-born court weaver Wilhelm Bartelmann. The popular chair hasn’t changed much since 1910: it is generally a two-seater loveseat made from pine or spruce with a wicker shade. The seats are covered with treated canvas or PVC. Beach chairs have been protecting beach-goers and paddlers from wind, sun, rain and sand for over 100 years. And they just keep getting more popular. No wonder the beach chair isn’t just seen in British beach towns, but also private gardens.
To make sure your beach chair can reliably keep wind and rain out, it should have a robust wicker section. The material used should be stable and UV-resistant. When it comes to the fabric covers, just choose something you like. From nautical stripes to romantic floral prints - anything is possible. But do ensure that the cushion covers for your beach chair are removable and washable so the cushions stay soft and comfortable.
Delivery and shipping costs within Great Britain:
- Shipping within Great Britainfree of charge!
- We are unable to ship to UK islands including Northern Ireland.
- It is not possible for the buyer to pick goods up directly.
- 3-5 working days (Monday - Friday, not including public holidays)
- If paying by bank transfer, your order will be dispatched once payment has been received
- You will be informed immediately of any delays to your delivery e.g. if an item is not in stock
Goods may be dispatched on the day of ordering:
- If payment is received by 12:00 (Monday - Friday, not including public holidays)
All amounts on this site include VAT.
The stated delivery times only apply to items shown in the online shop as in stock.